Our client in Santa Fe, NM is looking for a Controller.
The Controller will supervise, monitor, and evaluate all day-to-day accounting activities, including organizing, leading, and developing all staff in the credit union’s Accounting Department. Responsible for a variety of functions within the Accounting Department including month-end financial report preparation, monthly reconciliations, accounts payable, regulatory reporting, and financial reporting functions of the credit union. This position requires the administration and
managing of the Accounting Department in accordance with accounting procedures set forth by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
All employees of the organization are proactive, result-driven, and fully committed to the credit union’s mission and vision. They strive to achieve the highest standards of excellence and consistently exceed the expectations established by credit union management.
· Planning, directing, and coordinating all accounting operational functions.
· Responsible for financial statement and report preparation on a regular and special request basis.
· Directs all accounting activities providing leadership, training, and supervision while ensuring compliance with credit union policies and procedures.
· Regularly reviews entries to the general and statistical ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with established accounting principles and procedures. Prepares general and statistical ledger entries.
· Oversees preparation and timely filing of the NCUA 5300 Call report, IRS 990, and other tax and information returns as required.
· Coordinates and prepares for financial audits from Federal Examiners and external auditors as required by NCUA.
· Recommends changes in financial policies and procedures, as necessary.
· Monitors established internal controls to ensure proper compliance.
· Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process.
· Assess current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes that drive efficiency and enhance the internal stakeholder experience.
· Develop and monitor business performance metrics for the Accounting function.
· Supervise professional and administrative staff; assign work and special projects; monitor workload and productivity; evaluate performance; promote staff training and development; provide support in analyzing and resolving complex issues.
· Develop and maintain systems of internal controls and financial procedures to provide for the safety and soundness of assets throughout the organization.
· Ensures compliance with GAAP and regulatory financial requirements.
· Trains the Accounting team, ensuring the highest performance standards, teamwork, and service commitments are met. Also responsible for directing and supporting employees with their ongoing professional development.
· Assists accounting staff and regularly balances various GL accounts.
· Adhere to all Credit Union policies and procedures.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Thorough knowledge of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Excellent communication and organizational skills, including the ability to effectively collaborate with a broad audience of employees and management across the credit union.
· Excellent attention to detail and strong multi-tasking abilities.
· Demonstrates leadership and professional development to staff through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication consistent with the Credit Union’s strategic initiatives and vision.
· Excellent problem-solving, planning, organization, and time management skills.
· Maintains a working environment that includes clear and on-going communication, a team atmosphere, and a diverse environment free from objectionable behavior and communicates this message clearly to staff.
· Those in a leadership role are expected to participate in company meetings, community events, and similar engagements as ambassadors to the organization and its mission. These include voluntary and involuntary events that although ordinarily will be during business hours, including weekends and evenings as announced.
· Job-Related Travel – as required.
· Education or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field, in addition to ten-plus years of progressive experience, including some experience in the financial services industry.
· Three plus years of supervisory experience is required.
· Certified Public Accounting designation (C.P.A) is preferred but not required.
Must be capable to execute all terms and conditions set forth in the Employee Handbook, including but not limited to:
· Works in a safety-conscious manner which ensures that safe work practices are used in order not to pose a risk to self or others in the workplace.
· Adheres to policy on Drug-Free Workplace.
· Complies with company policies and procedures and local, state and federal regulations.
· Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
· Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
Next One Staffing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.